The Animal Law Section sponsors monthly meetings to raise awareness and educate the legal community regarding legal issues affecting animals and their welfare through CLE presentations, networking opportunities, publication and a distribution of materials. The ALS currently co-sponsors a witness-support dog program with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office named Paw and Order: SDU (Special Dog Unit). The ALS ordinarily holds its monthly meetings during lunch. Inquiries regarding membership and meeting times should be directed to the ALS Secretary.
The Laws For Paws Blog focuses on animal law and legal issues facing non-profit animal rescue/welfare organizations. It also provides notice of upcoming Animal Law Section events.
- September 9, 2014; 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. at BlackFinn – 1910 Bagby
- Free to all those who register before Sept. 2nd. After Sept. 2nd, the cost will be $25 for Animal Law Section members, students, and those that pre-pay; $30 for non-members, guests and walk-ins. Appetizers are included and a cash bar is available. All payments are final.
- Program: Rob Freyer, Assistant District Attorney in Montgomery County, will discuss the recent animal cruelty prosecution of a Montgomery County man accused of dragging a donkey. 1 hour CLE.
- RSVP: via email to Jessica Milligan at email@example.com. Deadline to RSVP for free attendance: Sept. 2. Make payment to: HBA Animal Law Section c/o Jessica Milligan, Harris County District Attorney’s Office, 1201 Franklin, 6th Floor, Houston, TX, 77024.
- Parking in the public parking garage attached to BlackFinn for $7.00 (payable by cash or credit card).
Harris County District Attorney’s Office
1201 Franklin, Suite 600
Houston, Texas 77002
Section Members: 37
Section Dues: $20
Immediate Past Chair
Clarissa Kay Bauer