Diversity and Inclusion
This committee organizes and implements a summer clerkship program for first-year law students from the three Houston law schools to encourage equal opportunities for minority lawyers in the legal profession. Provides educational service and support programs for minority law students. The committee also coordinates a diversity award.
We are recruiting employers for our 1L Summer 2021 Clerkship Program! Click here to sign up by November 13.
Student applications are due by 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 20, 2021!
Thank you to 2020's participating employers!
Employers listed with an asterisk (*) hired clerks through this year's D&I program.
- Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner*
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld L.L.P.
- Anuj A. Shah, P.C.
- Baker Botts LLP
- Bracewell LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- CenterPoint Energy*
- Cersonsky, Rosen & García, P.C.
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka
- Conley Rose, PC*
- The Ericksen Law Firm*
- Foley & Lardner LLP*
- Harris County Attorney's Office*
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Hines Interests Limited Partnership
- Hon. Alfred H. Bennett - U.S. District Court*
- Hon. Janice Berg - 247th District Court
- Hon. Peter Bray - US Magistrate Judge
- Hon. Lesley Briones - Harris County Civil Court at Law No. 4*
- Hon. Christina A. Bryan - U.S. District Court
- Hon. Kyle Carter - 125th District Court
- Hon. Rabeea Collier - 113th District Court*
- Hon. Jason Cox - Harris County Probate Court 3*
- Hon. Dedra Davis - 270th District Court*
- Hon. Scot Dollinger - 189th District Court
- Hon. Genesis Draper- County Criminal Court at Law No. 12*
- Hon. Andrew Edison - U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Southern District of Texas - Galveston Division*
- Hon. Vanessa Gilmore - United States District Court*
- Hon. Michael Gomez - 129th District Court
- Hon. Angela L. Graves-Harrington
- Hon. Ursula A. Hall - 165th District Court*
- Hon. Sonya Heath - 310th District Court
- Hon. Kenneth M. Hoyt - U.S. District Court
- Hon. Marvin Isgur - U.S. Bankruptcy Court*
- Hon. David R. Jones - United States Bankruptcy Court
- Hon. Steve Kirkland - 334th District Court
- Hon. Jaclanel McFarland - 133rd District Court
- Hon. Beau Miller- 190th District Court*
- Hon. Gray H. Miller - U.S. District Court*
- Hon. Daryl Moore - 333rd District Court
- Hon. Latosha Lewis Payne - 55th District Court*
- Hon. Sandra J. Peake - 257th District Court
- Hon. Lauren Reeder - 234th District Court*
- Hon. Ravi K Sandill - 127th District Court*
- Hon. Jerry Simoneaux- Harris County Probate Court 1
- Hon. Barbara Stalder - 280th District Court
- Hon. Christine Weems- 281st Civil Court
- Hon. LaShawn A. Williams - Harris County Civil Court At Law No. 3*
- Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP*
- Jackson Lewis PC
- Jackson Walker L.L.P.
- Kane Russell Coleman Logan PC*
- King & Spalding
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Law Offices of Alan J. Garcia
- Locke Lord LLP*
- McGinnis Lochridge*
- Memorial Assistance Ministries
- Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
- Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP*
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Porter Hedges LLP
- Reynolds Frizzell LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP*
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Stuart PC
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Wong Fleming LLP
The D&I summer clerkship program gives racially/ethnically diverse and LGBTQ+ first-year law students at South Texas College of Law Houston, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, and the University of Houston Law Center the opportunity to apply for summer law clerk positions. The committee planned and organized virtual programming for the hired clerks including a boot camp, virtual mixer, and mentorship program.
HBA Diversity and Inclusion Committee members and program alumni visited with a full room of South Texas College of Law Houston students on October 29 for an information session regarding the D&I 1L Summer Clerkship Program for 2020.
“ This has been one of HBA’s most successful programs to date. We wanted to make sure that the students placed in these positions have all of the tools necessary to continue that success and, more importantly, excel in their summer clerkships.”
Jackie Coleman, Bracewell LLP
Collin Cox, Yetter Coleman LLP
Renée Lowe, Harris County Attorney’s Office
The Hon. Ravi K. Sandill, 127th District Court
Scott Ellis, Foley Gardere LLP
Murtuza Hussain, Baker & McKenzie LLP
Jackie Rex, Smyser Kaplan & Veselka LLP
For more information on this committee, contact Bonnie Simmons at email@example.com or (713) 759-1133.