Diversity and Inclusion
This committee organizes and implements a summer clerkship program for first-year law students from the three Houston law schools to encourage equal opportunities for minority lawyers in the legal profession. Provides educational service and support programs for minority law students. The committee also coordinates a diversity award.
Thank you to our speakers at the virtual boot camp on April 17: Bilma Canales, Kimberly Dandridge, Fabio Dworschak, Stephanie Gaston, Jamie Houston, Geetika Jerath, Sabrina Jiwani, Monica Lopez, Daniella Martinez, Simone Otenaike, Valery Piedra, Jackie Rex, Poorav Rohatgi, Vi Tran, and Leah Wise.
Thank you to Porter Hedges LLP for hosting the Student Interview Readiness Panel for 2021 D&I candidates on January 7. Additional thanks to the presenters and the employers at the event. Panelists included: Dave Cooke, General Counsel at ARM Energy; Judge Michael Gomez, 129th Harris County Civil District Court; Heather Hatfield, Partner at Porter Hedges LLP; Kim Hicks, Partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP; Megan Luh, Associate at Porter Hedges LLP; and Jackie Pham, Associate at Jones Murray & Beatty LLP.
Thank you to 2021's participating employers!
- First Court of Appeals
- Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld L.L.P.
- Andrews Myers, PC
- Baker Botts L.L.P.
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Beck Redden LLP
- Hon. Alfred H. Bennett - U.S. District Court
- Berg & Androphy
- Blank Rome LLP
- Hon. Frances Bourliot - 14th Court of Appeals
- Bracewell LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Hon. Lesley Briones - Civil Court at Law No. 4
- Hon. Christina A. Bryan - U.S. District Court
- Butler Snow LLP
- Cadwell Clonts & Reeder LLP
- CenterPoint Energy
- Cersonsky, Rosen & García, P.C.
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka
- Hon. Rabeea Collier - 113th District Court
- Conley Rose, PC
- Hon. Jason Cox - Harris County Probate Court 3
- Hon. Dedra Davis - 270th District Court
- Hon. Genesis Draper - Civil Court at Law #12
- Hon. Andrew Edison - U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge
- The Ericksen Law Firm
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Hon. Tanya Garrison - 157th Civil Court
- Hon. Vanessa Gilmore - US District Court
- Hon. Michael Gomez - 129th District Court
- Hon. Angela Graves-Harrington - 246th District Court
- Hon. Ursula A. Hall - 165th District Court
- Hon. George C. Hanks - U.S. District Court
- Harris County Attorney's Office
- Hon. Meagan Hassan - 14th Court of Appeals
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Hines Interests Limited Partnership
- Houston Methodist Hospital
- Hon. Kenneth M. Hoyt - U.S. District Court
- Hon. Erica Hughes - Criminal Court of Law #3
- Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Hon. Marvin Isgur - U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- Jackson Walker L.L.P.
- Kane Russell Coleman Logan PC
- Kilmer Crosby & Quadros PLLC
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Locke Lord LLP
- McGinnis Lochridge
- Hon. Beau Miller - 190th District Court
- Hon. Gray H. Miller - U.S. District Court
- Padilla + Rodriguez
- Hon. Dena Palermo - U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge
- Patterson + Sheridan LLP
- Hon. Latosha Lewis Payne - 55th District Court
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Hon. Margaret Poissant - 14th Court of Appeals
- Porter Hedges LLP
- Hon. Ravi K. Sandill - 127th District Court
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Anuj A. Shah, P.C.
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Hon. Sam S. Sheldon - U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon, LLP
- Shrader & Associates, LLP
- Hon. Chuck Silverman - 183rd District Court
- Hon. Charles Spain - 14th Court of Appeals
- Stuart PC
- Susman Godfrey L.L.P.
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Hon. LaShawn A. Williams - Harris County Civil Court at Law No. 3
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Strohmeyer Law PLLC
- Hon. Jerry Zimmerer - 14th Court of Appeals
The D&I summer clerkship program gives racially/ethnically diverse and LGBTQ+ first-year law students at South Texas College of Law Houston, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, and the University of Houston Law Center the opportunity to apply for summer law clerk positions. The committee planned and organized virtual programming for the hired clerks including a boot camp, virtual mixer, and mentorship program.
HBA Diversity and Inclusion Committee members and program alumni visited with a full room of South Texas College of Law Houston students on October 29 for an information session regarding the D&I 1L Summer Clerkship Program for 2020.
“ This has been one of HBA’s most successful programs to date. We wanted to make sure that the students placed in these positions have all of the tools necessary to continue that success and, more importantly, excel in their summer clerkships.”
Scott Ellis, Foley Gardere LLP
Murtuza Hussain, Baker & McKenzie LLP
Jackie Rex, Smyser Kaplan & Veselka LLP
For more information on this committee, contact Bonnie Simmons at email@example.com or (713) 759-1133.