Houston Bar Association President Benny Agosto, Jr. has established the organization’s first LGBTQ+ Committee and named the founding members. The committee co-chairs will meet in July to set goals and discuss programming for 2019-2020, including participation in the HBA’s Diversity Summit scheduled for July 11.
“As our nation prepares to mark the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising, it is important that our bar association recognizes there is much work to be done to ensure diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, as well as in our communities,” said Agosto. “We are proud to work alongside organizations like the Stonewall Law Association of Greater Houston to make sure that everyone has equal opportunities under the rule of law.”
Founding members of the HBA LGBTQ+ Committee are:
- Hon. Steve Kirkland,334th District Court, Co-chair
- Hon. Daryl Moore, 333rd District Court, Co-chair
- Hon. Kim Ogg, Harris County District Attorney, Co-chair
- Hon. Alice-Oliver Parrott, Alice Oliver-Parrott, P.C.
- Travis Torrence, Shell Oil Company
- Deborah Lawson, Attorney at Law and President, Stonewall Law Association of Greater Houston
- Bryan Vezey, Cozen O’Connor
- Lena Laurenzo, Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto & Aziz
- Jessica Rodriguez, Ramsey Law Group
- Joseph Sanchez, Harris County District Attorney’s Office
- Charles Shaw, Harris County District Attorney’s Office
- Andrew J. Smith, Harris County District Attorney’s Office
- Benny Agosto, Jr., HBA President
- Mindy Davidson, HBA Executive Director
- Tara Shockley, HBA Associate Executive Director
Agosto has made diversity and inclusion the cornerstones of his year as HBA president. He planned the July 11 Diversity Summit as a celebration of the HBA’s history of inclusion and outreach, as well as an educational program for both attorneys and non-attorneys on topics such as implicit bias, understanding the gender spectrum, the importance of allyship, seeking and retaining a diverse workforce, gender fairness and the changing face of parental responsibility, and business development.
For more information on the HBA Diversity Summit and the HBA LGBTQ+ Committee, click here.