Lone Star Legal Aid operates a free hotline for legal advice relating to natural disasters. Call toll-free: (866) 659-0666.
The State Bar of Texas has a toll-free legal hotline to help people find answers to basic legal questions by connecting them with local legal aid providers. Call (800) 504-7030.
The State Bar of Texas has many other resources for Texans seeking legal help in the wake of natural disaster. Click here for tips on insurance, renter’s rights, and other topics, as well as a list of resources. Please be sure to scroll to the end of the page for all resources.
Those living in Harris County, Texas, are welcome to call the HBA’s next LegalLine for free legal advice over the phone.
- In English: Wednesday, October 16, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at (713) 759-1133.
- En español: jueves, 7 de noviembre, entre las 6:00 p.m. y 8:00 p.m. al (713) 759-1133.
Visit our LegalLine page for more information and resources.
For information about free clinics by Houston Volunteer Lawyers, please visit www.makejusticehappen.org.
Local Recovery Shelters run by Harris County
- Kingwood United Methodist Church, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday 9:00 a.m. to noon
- Crosby Community Center, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- May Community Center, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- CSD Jensen, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Click here to read the summary of the federal emergency declaration.
- The press release announcing the Imelda FEMA Disaster Response Services roll-out has been approved and can be reviewed here.
- There has been a Texas State Disaster Declaration for sixteen (16) counties affected by the tornadoes in and around the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Those counties include: Cass; Cameron; Collin; Dallas; Ellis; Erath; Hunt; Kaufman; Lamar; Panola; Rains; Rockwall; Rusk; Tarrant; Van Zandt; and Wood.
- The number of Imelda-related DRC’s in Texas is still holding at 7 open locations operating generally from 7a.m. – 7p.m. Several of these DRC’s are being staffed by LSLA personnel and are accepting pro bono volunteers. To sign up as a volunteer, click here.