In its inaugural year, the Disaster Preparedness Committee will establish, develop, and implement disaster preparedness plans and resources for the Houston Bar Association to address natural and manmade disasters and other catastrophic emergencies affecting the Houston area community. The goal of the Committee is to coordinate HBA volunteers and affiliated organizations, legal service providers, law schools, and representatives of local/state government in preparing for, responding to, and recovering from disasters and their economic repercussions through concerted legal assistance programs and advanced planning.
For the public
- Baker Botts L.L.P.'s Disaster Recovery Guide – answers to frequently-asked questions on disaster recovery
- State Bar of Texas Disaster Legal Helpline & Resources: 1 (800) 504-7030
- Federal Office of Emergency Management (FEMA)
- Houston Office of Emergency Management
- Ready Harris
- Houston Recovers
- For information on Houston Volunteer Lawyers's legal services, visit www.makejusticehappen.org. Houston Volunteer Lawyers's Guide to Handwritten "Holographic" Wills: English | Español.
- "LIST: Houston, these are the emergency phone numbers you need to know about ahead of severe weather" – KPRC 2
- Lone Star Legal Aid Disaster Relief Information
- Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid Disaster Resources
The full 2020 Disaster Manual can be found on TexasLawHelp – A compilation of resource materials for lawyers responding to legal questions from those affected by disasters.
See video guides below.
Watch the committee's video series on hurricane season preparation for attorneys!
Hurricane Season – Lawyers' Insurance Tips
Featuring Jett Hanna, Texas Lawyers' Insurance Exchange
Houston Office of Emergency Management's Tips for Preparing for Hurricane Season
Featuring Mitch Reid, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, and Cory Stottlemyer, Houston Office of Emergency Management
Disaster Recovery for Lawyers
Featuring Mitch Reid, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, and Jesse Corona, The Corona Law Firm
Keri Brown, Baker Botts L.L.P.
Mitch Reid, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
For more information on this committee, contact Ashley Gagnon Steininger at email@example.com or (713) 759-1133.